Every day, meetings are held in your organisation, and the decisions made as a result of these meetings can involve hundreds, thousands and even millions of dollars. Effective minute taking skills are essential because meetings and minutes have no value if they are not accurate. This practical course has been developed to help you record, compile and deliver quality meeting minute records that are accurate, clear and concise.
Please note that this course is not suitable for those needing to take Company Shareholder or Board of Directors meeting minutes.
- Understand the importance of meetings and recorded minutes
- Identify what to write down and what to leave out
- Effectively utilise tools and techniques to enable effective minute making
- Knowing what to do when the meetings stray from their original purpose
- How to turn your notes from the meeting into an action oriented minute record
- How to close the meeting loop after the meeting ends
This minute taking course is aimed at beginners who are required to record, compile, publish and distribute meeting minutes.
Minutes give an overview of the structure of the meeting
Look at the five minute taking competencies: communication, writing and summarising, organising, team building and emotional intelligence
If you are not spending 60 to 70% of your time in preparation, then you are not taking minutes effectively
Even if you have been taking meeting minutes for years, you can still fall into bad habits
So, you are in the meeting diligently taking notes, and the conversation suddenly goes way off topic. What do you do?
If the meeting minutes do not get turned into action items, the attendees will soon forget what it is they just agreed to do as a result of the meeting
Look at the six steps you go through to close the loop and produce the meeting minutes
Practical activities to try out your skills throughout the duration of the course